Wednesday, February 6, 2008

"Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez"


..."Let the Good Times Roll"...


(me and casie)


so, i was selfishly upset because i wanted to go to a ton of parades the last few weeks, but couldn't because i had the boys. well, monday night the boys' grandpa watched them and i went with Merri Kay and Jane to Krewe of Proteus and Orpheus uptown on St. Charles and it was AMAZING. First of all, it's an awesome community event-- seeing a ton of people out doing the same thing you are, waiting to see the same parades... it's hard to explain, but there's such a sense of unity. It's pretty easy to just strike up a conversation with complete strangers here in New Orleans anyway, but at parades it's even easier. We were camped out in front of Jane's friends' house, so we not only had access to a clean bathroom, but free food and drinks! We had some red beans and rice, grabbed a couple beers, and stood for 3 hours with our arms in the air screaming for beads. I ended up with a BUNCH. it was so so so so fun! Not to mention the floats are BEAUTIFUL. I was going to take pictures, but i was too excited to stop and pick up my camera.
THEN on Mardi Gras day the boys and i went over to their aunt and uncle's house, which is blocks away from the main parade route in Metairie (more "family-friendly" parades). It was a blast. Their cousin, Casie, Aunt Arlene, and I all got new orleans' famous daiquiris, and just had a great time with the family. The parades went from noon until about 5. . . it was crazy but SO fun. I caught a lot of beads (including some really cool ones), a stuffed animal, a garter, a foam "captain morgan" hat, and a purple, green and gold feather boa. It was such an amazing experience!!! I cannot wait until next year. I mean, i've always read and heard that Mardi Gras is an awesome time to live in New Orleans, but i didn't realize just how much until i was a part of it.
Needless to say, though, it was rough getting to class this morning. Mardi Gras recovery is the worst part... and the fact that UNO is the ONLY school down here that actually had classes today. I showed up for my first class... but i totally didn't make it to my second one. I went home to eat lunch during my break and ended up falling asleep. Oh well. it's the first class i've skipped since i've been at UNO, i don't think it'll kill me.

on a different note, i'm ready for my two weeks off. Bill is supposed to be home tomorrow (please, God), and i am absolutely beyond ready. i feel like i've been working for more than two weeks... i guess it's because the boys have been acting out more. And Mitchell's been sick. and Will's been deaf... excuse me, i believe a better term would be "selective hearing." *rolls eyes*
count it all joy. count it all joy. count it all joy...

i'll be back in st. louis in 8 days! ya'll better warm it up for me... i can't handle any more of that cold nonsense.

No comments: